- This event has passed.
Battle of the Books!
August 25 @ 2:30 pm - 5:30 pm
Sunday, Aug 25 is the grand finale for this year’s Summer Reading Program with the following schedule:
- 2:30 PM High School Battle of the Books
- 4:00 PM Pizza party for all High School and Middle School participants (and families)
- 4:30 PM 13th Annual Battle of the Books (Middle School)
- 5:30 PM Ice Cream for ALL and grade-school prize drawing
All of this book-inspired fun will be happening in DeSoto Hall. Plenty of spectator seating is available for the Battle of the Books. Sunday morning, Aug 25 is the last chance to turn in grade-school worksheets!
Grade School (entering K – 5th grade)
Find hidden treasure in a book this Summer! Beginning Sunday, June 9, go into the Library to sign up for this year’s program, make a personalized pirate ship, and grab some worksheets. Turn in a worksheet for every 5 books you read this summer and move your ship toward the treasure island and get candy and an entry in a prize drawing at the end of the summer. There will also be a special prize for anyone who can sail all the way to the island (100 books read!) by the end of this year’s program, Sunday, August 25.
Middle School (entering 6th – 8th grade)
Get ready for Battle of the Books XIII! Does your team have what it takes to win this year? On Sunday, August 25, we will again be featuring a spectacular combination of pizza, ice cream, book trivia, prizes, and real game show buzzers. Come to the Library and sign up in groups of three (be sure to think of a good team name.) Library volunteers will be coming to your Sunday School classes to answer questions and help people to find teammates
All questions will be based on the following books (you can get a copy of the list in the Library):
1. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle by Washington Irving
2. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
3. The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
4. The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
5. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
6. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
7. The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
8. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
9. The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff
So, get started with your teammates reading the books. Each member of the winning team receives $50!!
High School (entering 9th – 12th grade)
Once again, if there are enough committed High School students who will sign up, we will have another High-School Edition of Battle of the Books.
These are the books for the High School:
1. Up From Slavery by Booker T. Washington
2. The Virginian by Owen Wister
3. The Hound of the Baskervilles by A. Conan Doyle
4. The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
5. Idylls of the King by Alfred, Lord Tennyson
6. Little Lord Fauntleroy by Frances Hodgson Burnett
7. Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie
8. The American by Henry James
9. The Man Who Was Thursday by G. K. Chesterton
Please sign up in the Library if you’d like to participate in this event.